Concord Bell Memorial
Integrating the USS CONCORD Bell into the Veterans’ Memorial Park
The Concord Rotary Club initiated a design process for locating the USS Concord Bell within the context of the Veterans’ Memorial Park in downtown Concord, Massachusetts.
The committee members met on numerous occasions and prepared a list of design goals and design criteria focused on elements of community enhancement, sustainability and maintainability and preservation of the historic character of Concord.
- The design criteria included the following:
- Locate the USS Concord Bell in a prominent, visible, approachable location.
- Retain the existing central monuments and brick walks.
- Clean up the landscaping behind the existing stone wall and re-landscape
- Provide a drinking/bottle fill fountain and bicycle rack in an accessible location.
- Provide plantings to soften the blank wall of the commercial building on the west side of this park space.
- Maintain the historic character of the area in the selection of new materials.
- Specify materials that are easy to maintain and durable through New England winters.